Sunday, January 18, 2015

Rabbets are in season


The decision has been made. Id like to say it was carefully considered, took account of everything I had read and weighed up all the pros and cons. But Id be lying.
Matt Bickfords order book is full and it will be a while before he can make me a plane (but Ive put my name on the list - I can afford two rebate planes in my life when theyre this good and I want a straight as well asa skewed).
I found a review of the ECE. Woodworker Phil Bumbalough seems to think well of the plane. I was unnerved that he rated it at a level with the Stanley #92 which has a much lower iron angle and so might be better suited for shoulders. Still, I really am no expert. This is my first rebate plane. However he implies that it isnt so much for cutting rebates as fixing them. That is in the mould of the #92 which was for "cleaning" rebates.
The Veritas and the Philly plane were level pegging in my mind. I felt that what I would lose in machined accuracy and resistance to warping by not buying the Veritas I would gain in the pleasure of the user experience with the wooden plane. When I contacted Phil Edwards I was a bit stunned by the response. Two days after my initial enquiry he replied late in the evening with a researched treatise on planing rebates for clinker boats! Im a sucker for the personal touch and that level of customer service is exceptional.
The plane should be here in six weeks and then I can start cutting rabbets. That sounds wrong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Plan boat