Saturday, January 31, 2015

Started!!

The weekend was pretty busy with other tasks so I didnt get a chance to do anything until yesterday afternoon. Ive started laying out the frame parts on the mahogany. This is where taking the time earlier to lay these out on scale drawings has made this task easier. The parts fit on the real wood even better than the scale drawings.

I havent had a chance to cut these initial pieces out yet, but I hope to begin doing that either tonight or tomorrow. Ive decided to begin with just one board in order to learn and get used to the process. The wood is too expensive to screw up on so I am taking my time.

One of the parts is the bottom frame piece and establishes the width of the boat at the bottom. Looking at the part, I was amazed at how big it was. The boat is going to be fairly large.

Already in this process, Ive determined that I need to buy a belt sander next. This is because cutting out the parts cannot rely upon me keeping the jig saw on the lines that Ive drawn on the wood. My intention is to cut outside the line a small amount, and then sand the wood down to the line. Going to create a lot of dust!!!

So Ill post some pictures as soon as I get some of the parts cut out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Plan boat