Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Importance Of Keeping The Dream Alive

Because I decided when I started my project  that I was going to come out of the other end of it with little or no debt related to the build, there have been slow periods while I save funds for the next large purchase. I have a regular budget for the boat, occasionally supplemented when I get some form of financial windfall. So saving can occur on a fairly normal basis.

But as the last two and half months (plus a similar period last holiday season) have shown, progress can grind to a halt if the next needed purchase is fairly large. There are things I can do about this, such as better planning for future purchases. I have been trying to come up with a general plan of construction so that I can try to lessen the impact of these types of events. I will also be able to increase the budgeted amount available starting in the spring.

But invariably, there will be periods of waiting to get through. I have dealt with these in a few different ways. First, I try an organize the purchases in such a manner that I can work on something that needs to be done and that can be done with the materials I have on hand. This current lull is such a session. I still need to purchase more lumber but I have sufficient materials now to keep me busy while I save for the next purchase.

Another approach is to keep a list of smaller tasks that either cost nothing, or very little to accomplish. These also work well when I get into a slump and dont feel like working on the more complex parts of the build. These types of tasks make me feel like I am accomplishing something and they sort of "prime the pump", getting me more inclined to do the bigger jobs.

A third approach, which can be fun, and which is very necessary, is researching and developing plans, and purchases for future work. Designing the electrical system for this boat is a good example of this. I have been doing this for the last month. This is information and planning that I will need to have in place shortly after flipping the hull, since I plan on installing as many systems before building the cabin as I can.

Finally, a fourth technique, and one which may seem frivolous at times, but to me is very important , is drawing and improving my concept of what the boat will eventually look like. In a sense, this is similar to the planning for the electrical system, in that I will eventually need to know what to purchase and do when I finish the outward appearance of the boat. Ive just updated the appearance of the drawing and it has been added to this site at the top.

But the real value of this fourth task, and that which the title of this article is about, is keeping my dream of this boat alive. When I originally started this build, I read about other builders who were accomplishing their builds in as little as two years. Even though my boat is somewhat bigger and a bit more complicated, I felt that surely I could finish it in three years.

I quickly realized however, that this was going to take more like 5 years to accomplish, possibly longer (although I hope not). With that length of time, it becomes very important, at least to me, to keep the dream going, especially during those periods when construction invariably slows down.

In addition to working on the external appearance, I will sometimes go out in the garage and just sit and stare at my build, imagining it as it will eventually appear. Yes, I could be working on it, and often I do, but other times when maybe its too cold, or Im waiting for epoxy to cure, or I simply have nothing left I can do until more money is available, then day dreaming kicks in.

I do realize that day dreaming can and often does cause projects to either wither and die or never get accomplished. This is why I try and temper this approach with the other techniques mentioned previously.

All of this has been developed from previous long term projects I have been involved in and it has served me well, giving me the patience to see things through, knowing that eventually, this build will be done and I will have a beautiful boat to enjoy.

So, as a final note, I hope that this may help someone re-kindle their own project. I am sure that I am not the only person that engages in these activities or has these down times. Take care and next article I will have some construction updates.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Plan boat